STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3557
RE: H.B. No. 2671
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Judiciary and Labor and Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 2671, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL JUSTICE DATA,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to assist the Attorney General in the reporting of critical criminal justice data and to clarify the responsibilities of county police departments and certain state and county agencies to provide data in a timely manner by:
(1) Requiring that the county chiefs of police and state and county agencies with arrest powers to provide crime incident reports and other related crime information to the Attorney General for inclusion in a statewide crime reporting program, and to cooperate with the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Uniform Crime Reporting Program; and
(2) Establishing a fine for state and county agency noncompliance with the requirements of this measure.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of the Attorney General.
Your Committees find that no statewide database of crime incidents exists in Hawaii. This measure promotes comprehensive reporting and collection of crime data, which are vital to the ability of law enforcement agencies to efficiently and effectively discharge their duty to protect the public.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting a blank dollar amount for the fine imposed for each day of noncompliance with the requirements of this measure;
(2) Inserting an effective date of January 7, 2059, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Judiciary and Labor and Ways and Means that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2671, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2671, H.D. 2, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Judiciary and Labor and Ways and Means,
JILL N. TOKUDA, Chair
GILBERT S.C. KEITH-AGARAN, Chair