STAND. COM. REP. NO. 878-16
RE: H.B. No. 2648
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 2648, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO FOOD WASTE DISPOSAL,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring commercial and business entities that generate over one ton of commercial food waste annually to reduce such waste to zero by January 1, 2025;
(2) Establishing an advisory committee to investigate existing solid waste management infrastructure and resources necessary to support a food waste disposal reduction program; and
(3) Appropriating funds to the counties to comply with the waste reduction mandates imposed under this measure.
Zero Waste Kauai, Kokua Hawaii Foundation, Times Supermarkets, Oahu Fresh, Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii, Surfrider Foundation Kauai, World Centric, Surfrider Foundation Hawaii Chapters, Surfrider Foundation Oahu Chapter, and numerous individuals testified in support of this measure. The Honolulu Department of Environmental Services testified in opposition. The Department of Health, Kauai Office of Economic Development, Hawaii Green Growth, and Hawaii Food Industry Association provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the contents except for the advisory committee;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to facilitate further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2648, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2648, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair