STAND. COM. REP. NO. 997-16
RE: H.B. No. 2482
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce, to which was referred H.B. No. 2482, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO INSURANCE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to require managed care plans to provide claims data annually at no charge to a large group purchaser if the large group purchaser requests the information and meets certain requirements.
An individual testified in support of this measure. The Hawaii Medical Service Association and Hawaii Association of Health Plans testified in opposition to this measure. The Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Requiring that a large group purchaser enter into a data sharing agreement, as determined by the Insurance Commissioner, with the managed care plan, prior to receiving any claims data;
(2) Specifying that the Insurance Commissioner shall determine the qualifications of a qualified statistician;
(3) Defining "large group purchaser" or "purchaser" to mean an employer with an enrollment of greater than one hundred covered lives and at least one hundred covered lives enrolled with the managed care plan providing the information or a multiemployer trust with an enrollment of greater than one hundred covered lives and at least one hundred covered lives enrolled with the managed care plan providing the information;
(4) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2112, to encourage further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committee notes that it limited the definition of "large group purchaser" or "purchaser" to employers or multiemployer trusts with one hundred or more enrolled individuals in the plan based on information provided by the Insurance Commissioner that, for this sample size of group purchasers, insurance health plan providers collect and have this data readily available. Your Committee also finds that to mandate data provision for all large group purchasers, currently defined as fifty-one enrollees or more, would result in excessive data requests and delay realization of the purpose of this measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2482, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2482, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce,
ANGUS L.K. McKELVEY, Chair