STAND. COM. REP. NO. 408-16
RE: H.B. No. 2279
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 2279 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT MAKING APPROPRIATIONS FOR CLAIMS AGAINST THE STATE, ITS OFFICERS, OR ITS EMPLOYEES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to appropriate moneys to satisfy claims against the State, its officers, or its employees that are comprised of claims for legislative relief, judgments against the State, settlements, and miscellaneous claims.
The Department of the Attorney General testified in support of this measure. The Attorney General's testimony corrected the settlement amount of a claim and requested the addition of six claim settlements to the measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure to:
(1) Insert the correct amount of a claim settlement;
(2) Include six additional claims that were requested by the Attorney General into the appropriation request;
(3) Insert $4,588,836.20 as the total appropriation for claims to be paid from the State's general fund;
(4) Insert $700,000 as the total payment for claims from departmental funds; and
(5) Make technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, style, and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2279, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2279, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
KARL RHOADS, Chair