STAND. COM. REP. NO. 317-16
RE: H.B. No. 2266
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 2266 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT MAKING APPROPRIATIONS FOR EARLY LEARNING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to ensure that the Executive Office on Early Learning (EOEL) has the necessary staffing and support to ensure a solid foundation for Hawaii's young children by appropriating funds for:
(1) Travel and attendance at relevant conferences for the Early Learning Advisory Board (Board);
(2) A secretary IV position for EOEL; and
(3) A data processing systems analyst VI position for EOEL.
The EOEL, State Early Learning Advisory Board, Chamber of Commerce Hawaii, Hawaii Children's Action Network, Kamehameha Schools, and two concerned individuals supported this measure. The State Public Charter School Commission supported the intent of this measure. A concerned individual submitted comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the appropriation for travel is solely for the purpose of allowing Board members to attend meetings, rather than relevant conferences;
(2) Deleting the specified sums from the appropriations; and
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion.
Should your Committee on Finance deliberate on this measure further, your Committee on Education respectfully requests that it consider appropriating the follow sums for the specified purposes:
(1) $28,800 for Board travel;
(2) $39,492 for a secretary IV position; and
(3) $59,736 for a data processing systems analyst VI position.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2266, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2266, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
ROY M. TAKUMI, Chair