STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3567
RE: H.B. No. 2086
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 2086, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TRANSPORTATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to increase use of multi-modal forms of transportation in the State.
Specifically, the measure:
(1) Requires the Department of Transportation to update the state transportation plan to include state and county bicycle facilities;
(2) Requires the Department of Transportation to develop and update a statewide transportation improvement program to improve the scheduling of transportation construction;
(3) Requires the Department of Transportation to create, and update every three years, a statewide household transportation survey to gather information on the use of private vehicles, public transportation, walking, and bicycles for transportation;
(4) Requires each county to develop transportation mode share plans to increase non-automobile modes of transportation; and
(5) Appropriates funds for the transportation survey.
For purposes of a public hearing, your Committee circulated a proposed S.D. 2 (Proposed Draft) of the measure, and notified the public that your Committee would be accepting testimony on the Proposed Draft, which:
(1) Appropriates $37,000,000 in general funds to the state highway fund to address immediate deficits in that fund; and
(2) Requires the Governor to submit a report to the Legislature by November 1, 2018, on the sustainability of the state highway fund.
Your Committee received written comments in support of the S.D. 1 from the County of Kauai Planning Department, Hawaii Bicycling League, and Blue Planet Foundation.
Your Committee received written comments on the S.D. 1 from Bikeshare Hawaii.
Your Committee received testimony in support of the Proposed Draft from the Department of Transportation, City and County of Honolulu Department of Transportation Services, Chamber of Commerce Hawaii, Building Industry Association Hawaii, Hawaii Transportation Association, American Council of Engineering Companies of Hawaii, and two individuals.
Your Committee received comments on the Proposed Draft from the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism.
Your Committee finds that due, in part, to decreased revenues from fuel taxes and increased expenses, the costs to operate and maintain the state highway system will exceed available revenues. Your Committee further finds that appropriating general funds to the state highway fund will allow the Department of Transportation to continue to maintain Hawaii's highways while a long-term solution for the deficit is developed.
Your Committee has amended this measure by replacing its contents with the contents of the Proposed Draft.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2086, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2086, H.D. 2, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
JILL N. TOKUDA, Chair