STAND. COM. REP. NO. 427-16
RE: H.B. No. 2082
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 2082 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ADOPTION RECORDS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Allowing a natural parent to place, change, or remove a contact preference in a sealed adoption record at any time prior to or after final disposition of a petition; and
(2) Establishing separate procedures for accessing adoption records based on an individual's year of adoption.
In its discussion, your Committee noted the testimony of individuals that cultural changes have significantly diminished the stigma surrounding adoption. As such, there is a trend toward greater openness in granting access to adoptees and other parties to adoption records.
Upon careful consideration, your Committee has amended this measure by deleting its contents and inserting the provisions of S.B. No. 2153, Regular Session of 2016, Relating to Adoption Records, which like this measure, amends requirements relating to adoption records. In particular, the inserted provisions of S.B. No. 2153 simplify the adoption records process by providing adopted individuals and natural parents access to an adopted individual's sealed adoption records as follows:
(1) Upon order of the family court upon a showing of good cause;
(2) After the adopted individual attains the age of eighteen and upon submission to the family court of a written request for inspection by the adopted individual, the adoptive parents, or the natural parents;
(3) Upon request by the adopted individual or the adoptive parents for information contained in the records concerning ethnic background and necessary medical information; or
(4) Upon request by a natural parent for a copy of the original birth certificate.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2082, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2082, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
DELLA AU BELATTI, Chair