STAND. COM. REP. NO. 897-16
RE: H.B. No. 1851
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1851 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE PUBLIC UTILITIES COMMISSION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to amend the eligibility requirements to serve on the Public Utilities Commission (Commission) and allow teleconferencing or videoconferencing for public meetings of the Commission. Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires at least one of the three Commissioners of the Commission to be a resident of a county other than the City and County of Honolulu and receive a per diem compensation;
(2) Allows a Commissioner residing on a Neighbor Island to attend a public hearing of the Commission that is held on Oahu by teleconference or videoconference; and
(3) Allows a Commissioner residing on Oahu to attend a public hearing of the Commission held on a Neighbor Island by teleconference or videoconference.
The Young Brothers, Limited and a concerned individual supported this measure. The Division of Consumer Advocacy, Public Utilities Commission, Hawaii Energy Policy Forum, and two concerned individuals provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1851, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1851, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair