STAND. COM. REP. NO. 974-16
RE: H.B. No. 1847
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1847, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The Office of the Lieutenant Governor, Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Association, and The Chamber of Commerce Hawaii supported this measure. The Office of the Mayor of the City and County of Honolulu and a concerned individual opposed this measure. The Office of Hawaiian Affairs, Hawaii Tourism Authority, Department of Accounting and General Services, Department of Budget and Finance, State Procurement Office, Department of the Attorney General, and Stadium Authority provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the procurement code exemption of the Authority;
(2) Placing the Authority within the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism for administrative purposes;
(3) Restricting the focus of the authority to the Aloha Stadium and its related facilities;
(4) Changing the transient accommodations tax revenues distributed to the Authority to an unspecified amount; and
(5) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1847, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1847, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair