STAND. COM. REP. NO. 229-16
RE: H.B. No. 1773
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Human Services and Housing, to which was referred H.B. No. 1773 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOUSING,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Continue to administer Housing First Programs for chronically homeless individuals; and
(2) Support the Shallow Rent Subsidy Program to assist homeless working individuals and families in obtaining or maintaining permanent housing, and cover housing stabilization services and administrative costs to operate the program.
Family Support Hawaii, Catholic Charities Hawaii, Hawaii Children's Action Network, First United Methodist Church, PHOCUSED, Faith Action for Community Equity, Helping Hands Hawaii, and several individuals supported this measure. The Department of Human Services and the Governor's Coordinator on Homelessness supported the intent of this measure. An individual provided comments.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Changing all appropriated amounts to unspecified amounts; and
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion.
Should the Committee on Finance deliberate on this measure further, your Committees on Human Services and Housing respectfully request that it consider appropriating:
(1) $3,000,000 to be deposited to the credit of the Housing First Special Fund;
(2) $3,000,000 out of the Housing First Special Fund to administer housing first programs for chronically homeless individuals; and
(3) $2,000,000 for the Shallow Rent Subsidy Program.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Human Services and Housing that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1773, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1773, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Human Services and Housing,
MARK J. HASHEM, Chair
DEE MORIKAWA, Chair