STAND. COM. REP. NO. 629-16
RE: H.B. No. 1625
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 1625 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) The University to report on its use of existing classroom and laboratory facilities; and
(2) The University of Hawaii Board of Regents to hold an open public meeting subject to the requirements of Chapter 92, Hawaii Revised Statutes, prior to determining whether to approve or disapprove any proposed new building or facility with a projected total cost in excess of $10,000,000.
For purposes of the public hearing, your Committee circulated a proposed H.D. 1 (Proposed Draft) for public review and comment. The purpose of the Proposed Draft is to:
(1) Establish program and salary funding requirements for organized research units at the University of Hawaii; and
(2) Require the Board of Regents to report to the Legislature regarding the funding requirements.
Your Committee received the following testimony on the Proposed Draft. The University of Hawaii, University of Hawaii Professional Assembly, Spectrum Photonics, and numerous concerned individuals opposed the Proposed Draft.
Your Committee has amended this measure by adopting the Proposed Draft and further amending the Proposed Draft by:
(1) Granting the Board of Regents greater discretion over the establishment of program and salary funding requirements for organized research units;
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style; and
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2525, to encourage further discussion.
Your Committee notes that these amendments lessen the prescriptive nature of the Proposed Draft, yet preserve public accountability by requiring the Board of Regents to report to the Legislature on its decisions.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1625, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1625, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
ISAAC W. CHOY, Chair