TWENTY-EIGHTH LEGISLATURE, 2015
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO THE HAWAII TOURISM AUTHORITY.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 201B-2, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by amending subsections (b) and (c) to read as follows:
"(b) The authority shall be headed by a policy-making board of directors that shall consist of twelve members; provided that:
(1) The members shall be appointed by the governor as
provided in section 26-34, except as [
otherwise] provided by [ law;]
(2) The members shall include at least one
representative each from the city and county of Honolulu and the counties of
Hawaii, Kauai, and Maui[
; the remaining members shall be appointed at-large];
(3) Three members shall be appointed by the governor from a list of three names submitted for each appointment by the president of the senate, and three members shall be appointed by the governor from a list of three names submitted for each appointment by the speaker of the house of representatives; provided that if fewer than three names are submitted for each appointment, the governor may disregard the list;
(4) At least six members shall have knowledge,
experience, and expertise in the area of [
visitor industry management,
marketing, promotion,] accommodations, transportation, retail,
entertainment, or [ visitor] attractions[ , and at least one].
One member appointed by the governor shall have knowledge, experience, and
expertise in the area of Hawaiian cultural practices; provided that no more
than three members shall represent, be employed by, or be under contract to any
sector of the industry represented on the board;
(5) The governor shall make appointments to ensure
the fulfillment of all requirements[
;] of paragraphs (2) and (4);
provided that [ any appointments made after July 1, 2002, shall be made to
fulfill the requirements in place when the appointments are made; and] the
governor shall notify the president of the senate and the speaker of the house
of representatives of any unfulfilled requirements pursuant to paragraphs (2)
and (4), and the president of the senate and the speaker of the house of
representatives shall submit nominees who fulfill those requirements; and
(6) No person who has served as a member of the board of directors of the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau shall be eligible to sit as a member of the board of directors of the Hawaii tourism authority until at least two years have expired between the person's termination from service on the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau board and the person's appointment to the authority's board of directors.
(c) Members shall be appointed by the
governor for terms of four years[
. Each]; provided that membership
on the board shall not exceed eight consecutive years; provided further that
notwithstanding section 26-34, each member shall hold office until the
member's successor is appointed and qualified. [ Section 26-34 shall be
applicable insofar as it relates to the number of terms and consecutive number
of years a member may serve on the board.]"
SECTION 2. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect on January 7, 2059; provided that any appointments made to the board of directors of the Hawaii tourism authority after July 1, 2015, shall be made in accordance with the qualifications under section 201B-2(b), Hawaii Revised Statutes, as amended by this Act.
Hawaii Tourism Authority; Board of Directors; Qualifications; Term Limits
Clarifies the qualification and term limit requirements for the board of directors of the Hawaii tourism authority. Effective 01/07/2059. (SD1)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.