STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1647
RE: S.B. No. 979
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 979, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO YOUTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Office of Youth Services to implement a five-year Safe Places for Youth Pilot Program (Pilot Program);
(2) Establishing a coordinator position for the Pilot Program and specifying the Coordinator's duties and responsibilities;
(3) Establishing a framework that allows youth under the age of 18 to consent to accept services from a service provider of the Pilot Program;
(4) Requiring the Office of Youth Services to submit annual reports to the Legislature on the Pilot Program; and
(5) Appropriating funds for the Pilot Program Coordinator position and temporary housing opportunities for youth in crisis who participate in the Pilot Program.
Planned Parenthood of Hawaii, Family Programs Hawaii, PHOCUSED, Coalition for a Drug-Free Hawaii, and two individuals provided testimony in support of this measure. Hawaii Family Advocates and some individuals provided testimony in opposition. Community Alliance on Prisons provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by changing the appropriation amount to $1 and making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 979, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 979, S.D. 2, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair