STAND. COM. REP. NO. 778
RE: S.B. No. 892
Honorable Donna Mercado Kim
President of the Senate
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 892, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO OMNIBUS HAWAI‘I RESILIENCE AND SUSTAINABILITY STRATEGY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to make appropriations for a Hawaii resilience and sustainability strategy in the areas of broadband, joint emergency management, energy efficiency and smart grid, and water and sewer infrastructure.
Specifically, the measure appropriates moneys for the:
(1) Hawaii Broadband Initiative;
(2) Design, construction, and materials for broadband cable landing sites and for the preparation of environmental impact statements for seven of those sites;
(3) Planning, land acquisition, design, and construction of a joint emergency management center in Mililani High Technology Park;
(4) Pacific-Asia Institute for Resilience and Sustainability's management team to continue its collaborative research efforts in exploring methods to improve energy efficiency and grid operations in Hawaii; and
(5) Pacific-Asia Institute for Resilience and Sustainability to research the water and sewer distribution systems on each island of the State.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the United States Pacific Command; the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; Hawaii Pacific University; the Kauai Fire Department; the State Fire Council; the Pacific-Asia Institute for Resilience and Sustainability; and two individuals. The Department of Health, High Technology Development Corporation, and Hawaii Farm Bureau provided written comments on the measure.
Your Committee finds that increased broadband capacity is critical to businesses and the growth of Hawaii's economy. Your Committee believes that this measure will facilitate the development of public-private partnerships to provide more secure, reliable, and resilient internet and data connectivity.
Your Committee requests that, as this measure is considered by subsequent Standing Committees, the appropriate stakeholders provide a priority list of broadband cable landing sites and complete cost estimates to those Committees, to apprise them of information necessary to move this measure forward.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the means of financing for the appropriations in sections 4 and 5 of the measure from general funds to general obligation bonds;
(2) Deleting sections 6 through 9 of the measure, which would have appropriated grant moneys under chapter 42F, Hawaii Revised Statutes, for research by the Pacific-Asia Institute for Resilience and Sustainability relating to energy efficiency and grid operations in the State and to county water improvement projects and water and sewer distribution systems on each island; and
(3) Making conforming amendments to the purpose section to reflect amendments made to the substantive provisions of the measure.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 892, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 892, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
JILL N. TOKUDA, Chair