STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1185
RE: S.B. No. 622
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 622, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE ELECTIONS COMMISSION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to require the Elections Commission to conduct a performance evaluation of the Chief Election Officer after each general election and submit a written report regarding the evaluation to the Legislature within 90 days of the certification of the general election results.
Common Cause Hawaii and two concerned individuals testified in support of this measure. The Department of Accounting and General Services and League of Women Voters of Hawaii supported the intent of this measure and recommended amendments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Specifying that the Chief Election Officer shall be an at-will employee;
(2) Requiring the Elections Commission to provide written notification of removal and the reason for the removal upon the removal of the Chief Election Officer;
(3) Requiring the Elections Commission to conduct a performance evaluation of the Chief Election Officer within two months after a general election is certified;
(4) Requiring the Elections Commission to conduct a public hearing on the Chief Election Officer's performance and consider information gathered in deliberations on the reappointment of the Chief Election Officer; and
(5) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 622, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 622, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
KARL RHOADS, Chair