STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1183
RE: S.B. No. 387
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 387, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AFFIRMATIVE CONSENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to establish an affirmative consent task force to review and make recommendations on the University of Hawaii's executive policy concerning domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking, and require the task force to submit a report of its findings to the Legislature prior to the Regular Session of 2016.
The University of Hawaii, Hawaii State Commission on the Status of Women, Hawaii State Women's Caucus, Hawaii Youth Services Network, Planned Parenthood of Hawaii, Hawaii Women's Coalition, IMUAlliance, YWCA of Oahu, and several concerned individuals supported this measure. The Sex Abuse Treatment Center and University of Hawaii Commission on the Status of Women supported the intent of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Including an additional student representative on the task force;
(2) Expanding the scope of topics that the task force should consider to include training for University of Hawaii staff who handle sexual assault claims, and procedures for coordinating with law enforcement if an incident is reported;
(3) Deleting the exemption for members of the task force from Chapter 84, Hawaii Revised Statutes;
(4) Requiring the task force to submit a report of its findings and recommendations to the Legislature in both 2016 and 2017, instead of just 2016; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 387, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 387, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
KARL RHOADS, Chair