STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1080
RE: S.B. No. 283
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Tourism, to which was referred S.B. No. 283, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII TOURISM AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Amends the subject-matter knowledge and experience qualifications that apply to one-half of the Board to include accommodations and to delete visitor industry management, marketing, and promotion;
(2) Specifies that one Board member shall have knowledge, experience, and expertise in Hawaiian cultural practices; and
(3) Provides for coordination between the Governor and the Senate President or Speaker of the House of Representatives, as appropriate, to ensure that appointments to fill vacancies are made in accordance with required subject-matter knowledge and experience qualifications.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that at least one member shall have knowledge, experience, and expertise in Hawaiian cultural practices;
(2) Making it effective upon approval; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Tourism that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 283, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 283, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Tourism,
TOM BROWER, Chair