STAND. COM. REP. NO. 900
RE: S.B. No. 1094
Honorable Donna Mercado Kim
President of the Senate
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1094, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO INSURANCE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to update the State's insurance laws with regard to fees and costs, and to make a variety of regulatory housekeeping amendments.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
Your Committee finds that the measure updates title 24 of the Hawaii Revised Statutes to:
(1) Promote consistency in fees charged on all applications and services the Insurance Division provides to purchasing groups, foreign risk retention groups ("RRGs"), insurers subject to chapter 431, Hawaii Revised Statutes, fraternal benefit societies ("FBSs"), mutual benefit societies ("MBSs"), health maintenance organizations ("HMOs"), and dental insurers;
(2) Recover certain administrative costs associated with the applications process and services; and
(3) Make other technical amendments for clarity and consistency.
Your Committee believes that this Administration measure will serve to maintain the quality of service provided by the Insurance Division.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Transferring the new language regarding the disposition of penalties imposed under sections 431K-9, 431K-10, and 432:2-703, Hawaii Revised Statutes, from the new sections being added to chapters 431K and 432:2 to sections 431K-9, 431K-10, and 432:2-703, respectively; and
(2) Making other, various technical amendments for the purposes of clarity, style, and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1094, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1094, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
JILL N. TOKUDA, Chair