STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1134
RE: H.B. No. 995
Honorable Donna Mercado Kim
President of the Senate
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Agriculture, to which was referred H.B. No. 995 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to appropriate funds for the implementation and operation of the Future Farmers of America program and the 4-H program.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Agriculture, University of Hawaii System, Hawaii Cattlemen's Association, National FFA Organization, Hawaii Farm Bureau, Hawaii Primary Care Association, Hawaii State Teachers Association, Syngenta Hawaii, Hawaii Farmers Union United, Local Food Coalition, and three individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Education.
Your Committee finds that support of local agriculture is a strategic investment that builds community resilience and strengthens the economy. Your Committee further finds that Hawaii lacks young farmers and ranchers with the experience, skills, and ambition to undertake the business of farming and ranching and therefore finds it is necessary to rebuild existing programs, specifically the Future Farmers of America and 4-H programs, that educate, support, and encourage youth to pursue agricultural careers, as well as existing whole system approach, on-farm mentoring programs.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting language from S.B. No. 380 (Regular Session of 2015), that directs the Department of Agriculture to provide grants to support existing whole system approach, on-farm mentoring programs;
(2) Amending section 1 to reflect the amended purpose of this measure;
(3) Inserting language to appropriate funds as a grant for existing whole system approach, on-farm mentoring programs;
(4) Inserting language making the appropriation for the 4-H program a grant, pursuant to chapter 42F, Hawaii Revised Statutes, to the Hawaii 4-H Foundation;
(5) Inserting an effective date of July 1, 2112, to encourage further discussion; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Agriculture that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 995, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 995, S.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Agriculture,
RUSSELL E. RUDERMAN, Chair