STAND. COM. REP. NO. 510
RE: H.B. No. 864
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred H.B. No. 864 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO IN VITRO FERTILIZATION INSURANCE COVERAGE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Removing the requirement that the patient's ocytes be fertilized with the sperm from the patient's spouse;
(2) Requiring that the patient have a history of infertility of at least 12 months if 35 years or younger, or at least six months if over 35; and
(3) Defining the term "infertility."
The Democratic Party of Hawaii Women's Caucus and several concerned individuals supported this measure. Hawaii Catholic Conference and the Chamber of Commerce Hawaii opposed this measure. The Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs and Hawaii Medical Service Association commented on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the amendments detailing requirements of the patient's history of infertility and deleting the definition of "infertility";
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 864, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 864, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
DELLA AU BELATTI, Chair