STAND. COM. REP. NO. 799
RE: H.B. No. 821
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 821 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Authorizing the Executive Office of Early Learning to expend federal funds for the purpose of early childhood education;
(2) Defining "early childhood education" as a developmentally appropriate early childhood development and education program for children from birth until the time they enter kindergarten; and
(3) Clarifying, for housekeeping purposes, the respective roles of the Department of Education and the Executive Office on Early Learning with respect to early childhood education.
The Department of Education, Early Learning Advisory Board, Democratic Party of Hawaii, Good Beginnings Alliance, Hui for Excellence in Education, The Chamber of Commerce Hawaii, PHOCUSED, and two individuals testified in support of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments, for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 821, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 821, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair