STAND. COM. REP. NO. 19
RE: H.B. No. 768
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Housing, to which was referred H.B. No. 768 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII PUBLIC HOUSING AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to expand the Hawaii Public Housing Authority's (HPHA) power to dispose of property abandoned, seized, or remaining from an eviction in or around a federal, elder or elderly, or state low-income housing project.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Requiring countywide, instead of statewide, public notice of the disposition of property as an alternative to notice by local publication;
(2) Deleting language establishing a separate process for disposing of property remaining upon an eviction or writ of possession;
(3) Specifying that HPHA may dispose of property abandoned on any part of its grounds and facilities by clarifying the definition of premises;
(4) Clarifying that any remaining balance of proceeds from the sale of property abandoned, seized, or remaining may be claimed by the tenant or the owner of the property;
(5) Repealing existing statutory language made obsolete by this measure;
(6) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to promote further discussion; and
(7) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Housing that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 768, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 768, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Housing,
MARK J. HASHEM, Chair