STAND. COM. REP. NO. 553
RE: H.B. No. 619
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce, to which was referred H.B. No. 619, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE MERGER, ACQUISITION, AND CONSOLIDATION OF ELECTRIC UTILITIES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establishing standards to evaluate a proposed merger, acquisition, or consolidation of an electric utility; and
(2) Affording a reasonable opportunity for public participation in the evaluation process.
The Alliance for Solar Choice, Hawaii Solar Energy Association, League of Women Voters, and numerous individuals testified in support of this measure. NextEra Energy, Hawaiian Electric Company and its subsidiaries, Hawaii Electric Light Company, Maui Electric Company, and one individual testified in opposition to this measure. The Division of Consumer Advocacy of the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Public Utilities Commission, Puna Pono Alliance, Hawaii Renewable Energy Alliance, Life of the Land, and several individuals provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing certain public utility transactions from the types of transactions that require an order of authorization;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2112, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committee notes that this measure may not apply to the NextEra merger and respectfully asks your Committee on Finance to further examine this issue.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 619, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 619, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce,
ANGUS L.K. McKELVEY, Chair