STAND. COM. REP. NO. 878
RE: H.B. No. 586
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 586, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO USE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND E-CIGARETTES ON HAWAII HEALTH SYSTEMS CORPORATION PREMISES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to promote positive health practices that protect the occupants of Hawaii Health Systems Corporation's (HHSC) health facilities from exposure to secondhand smoke and other potentially harmful substances by:
(1) Prohibiting the use of any tobacco product or e-cigarette, also known as an "electronic smoking device," on the premises of all health facilities operated by HHSC; and
(2) Requiring HHSC to provide tobacco cessation programs for public employees of its health facilities.
The American Heart Association, Coalition for a Tobacco Free Hawaii, Healthcare Association of Hawaii, and many concerned individuals testified in support of this measure. The Department of Health and HHSC testified in support and recommended amendments. The Hawaii Government Employees Association, AFSCME Local 152, AFL-CIO, testified in support of the intent, but had concerns with parts of this measure. One concerned individual testified in opposition.
Your Committee has amended this measure to:
(1) Clarify that HHSC is responsible for the cost of tobacco cessation programs for its public employees;
(2) Specify that prohibition of tobacco and electronic smoking device use by public employees shall be subject to consultation with collective bargaining units;
(3) Clarify the defintions of "electronic smoking device" and "tobacco product"; and
(4) Change the effective date of this measure to July 1, 2050 to encourage discussion.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 586, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 586, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
KARL RHOADS, Chair