STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1501
RE: H.B. No. 547
Honorable Donna Mercado Kim
President of the Senate
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 547, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to ensure that University of Hawaii students receive guidance toward graduation.
More specifically, the measure:
(1) Adds a new section to chapter 304A, subpart A of part I, requiring the University of Hawaii to explore administrative measures to provide guidance to students to increase the rate of on-time graduation, and to include specific elements if a graduation pathway system is developed;
(2) Requires the University of Hawaii to submit a report to the Legislature if the University elects to develop a graduation pathway system; and
(3) Makes appropriations to establish the pathway system and fund full-time equivalent positions.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from one individual. The University of Hawaii submitted written comments on the measure.
For purposes of a public hearing, your Committee circulated a proposed Senate Draft 2 of this measure and informed the public that your Committee would accept testimony on the proposed draft. The proposed draft adds an appropriation for renovations, repairs, and improvements to the John A. Burns School of Medicine through the reauthorization of revenue bond proceeds that are about to lapse.
Your Committee received comments on the proposed Senate Draft 2 of this measure from the University of Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Adopting the proposed Senate Draft 2 of the measure;
(2) Clarifying that the appropriation added by the proposed Senate Draft 2 of this measure shall be from the university revenue-undertakings fund; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 547, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 547, H.D. 2, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
JILL N. TOKUDA, Chair