STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1136
RE: H.B. No. 547
Honorable Donna Mercado Kim
President of the Senate
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education and the Arts, to which was referred H.B. No. 547, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Require the University of Hawaii to develop the Graduation Pathway System, including structured, default pathways to graduation, meta-majors, academic maps, cornerstone classes, and highly-structured options; and
(2) Appropriate funds for full-time equivalent positions to assist in carrying out the Graduation Pathway System.
Your Committee received comments on this measure from the University of Hawaii System and one individual.
Your Committee finds that the establishment of the Graduation Pathway System, with its potential to strengthen education outcomes for higher education students across the State, is a matter of statewide concern. The elements of the Graduation Pathway System are key to students navigating through college and progressing successfully to on-time graduation.
Your Committee further finds that, in 2010, the University of Hawaii implemented the Hawaii Graduation Initiative. The Hawaii Graduation Initiative was designed and implemented to strengthen educational outcomes in the State and close educational disparities. More specifically, the Hawaii Graduation Initiative assists the University of Hawaii in identifying metrics, actions and tactics, and systematically collect, analyze, and report data.
Accordingly, your Committee finds that the interests of the students, their families, University of Hawaii, and the State would be best served by authorizing, but not requiring, the development and implementation of a Graduation Pathway System by the University of Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Amending the purpose section to more clearly articulate its purpose and intent;
(2) Deleting the requirement that the University of Hawaii develop and implement the Graduation Pathway System;
(3) Inserting language to require the University of Hawaii to explore administrative measures to provide guidance to students to increase the rate of on-time graduation and authorize the development of a Graduation Pathway System; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education and the Arts that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 547, H.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 547, H.D. 2, S.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education and the Arts,
BRIAN T. TANIGUCHI, Chair