STAND. COM. REP. NO. 355
RE: H.B. No. 547
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 547 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Receive appropriate guidance and options to complete a major course of study;
(2) Graduate within a reasonable period of time; and
(3) Understand the dynamics of the local employment market,
by requiring the University to develop the Ana Hoohalike Guidance Program.
The Ana Hoohalike Guidance Program would include structured, default pathways to graduation; meta-majors; academic maps; cornerstone classes; an intrusive advising model; and highly-structured options.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the name of the Ana Hoohalike Guidance Program to the Graduation Pathway System;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2525, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committee requests that in the University of Hawaii's report to the Legislature, it provide the date by which the Graduation Pathway System will be fully implemented.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 547, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 547, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
ISAAC W. CHOY, Chair