STAND. COM. REP. NO. 506
RE: H.B. No. 542
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 542 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE BUDGET,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Director of Finance to submit to the Legislature at least once per fiscal year a master list of all non-general fund accounts and a clear and concise statement indicating whether each department or agency is complying with its statutory reporting requirements and requiring agencies to self-report compliance in agency operational plans;
(2) Removing limitations on the scope of review of the University of Hawaii's fiscal operations plan by the Department of Budget and Finance; and
(3) Applying generally applicable limitations on an agency's transfer of money and positions among programs, cost elements, and fiscal quarters to the University of Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting language that would have:
(A) Required agency self-reporting of compliance with fiscal reporting requirements; and
(B) Removed exceptions for the University of Hawaii from limitations on fiscal review and the transfer of money and positions; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 542, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 542, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
ISAAC W. CHOY, Chair