STAND. COM. REP. NO. 415
RE: H.B. No. 540
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 540 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII ACCOUNTING AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Board of Regents of the University of Hawaii to submit to the Legislature before the end of each fiscal quarter a program performance report showing a comparison of actual revenues and expenditures versus budgeted revenues and expenditures; and
(2) Making permanent the University of Hawaii's existing exemption from complete account control and direct financial management by the comptroller, which includes the University's authorization to use a separate accounting system that is tailored to University operations.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Specifying that the issues addressed by this measure are matters of statewide concern, within the purview of the Legislature pursuant to Article X, Section 6, of the Hawaii State Constitution;
(2) Instead of making permanent the University's statutory exemption from account control and financial management by the comptroller, extending their sunset dates by a year;
(3) Requiring the Auditor to examine whether the University's statutory exemption from account control and financial management by the comptroller should be made permanent and to submit a report to the Legislature; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 540, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 540, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
ISAAC W. CHOY, Chair