STAND. COM. REP. NO. 897
RE: H.B. No. 458
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 458, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Department of Health to develop accurate, educational information on:
(A) Human papillomavirus;
(B) Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis;
(C) The meningococcal conjugate vaccine; and
(D) The annual influenza vaccine; and
(2) Requiring each public school to disseminate this information to each parent or guardian of a student entering the sixth grade, beginning with the 2017-2018 school year.
The University of Hawaii, Hawaii State Commission on the Status of Women, Hawaii Youth Services Network, Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies Coalition of Hawaii, Planned Parenthood of Hawaii, American Association of University Women - Hawaii, American Association of University Women – Windward, Hawaii Women Lawyers, Hawaii State Democratic Women's Caucus, Hawaii Women's Coalition, and numerous concerned individuals supported this measure. The Department of Education and Hawaii Immunization Coalition supported the intent of the measure. A concerned individual testified in opposition. The Department of Health submitted comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Specifying that the Department of Health must produce materials for distribution, in addition to developing information;
(2) Specifying that the materials provided by the Department of Health must be disseminated, at a minimum, to parents or guardians of public school students entering the sixth grade;
(3) Requiring the Department of Education to post on its public website the information and materials provided by the Department of Health; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committee respectfully asks that the provisions of this measure do not displace the Department of Education's existing budget requests.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 458, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 458, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
ROY M. TAKUMI, Chair