STAND. COM. REP. NO. 498
RE: H.B. No. 1394
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Water & Land, to which was referred H.B. No. 1394 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO WATER RECLAMATION,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Conduct a feasibility study on the use of water scalping technology in state facilities and submit a report to the Legislature no later than 20 days prior to the convening of the Regular Session of 2017; and
(2) Establish a four-year water scalping pilot project to implement water scalping technology in state facilities.
The Surfrider Foundation Oahu Chapter, Kennedy/Jenks Consultants, and Mele Associates, Inc., supported this measure. The Department of Accounting and General Services opposed this measure. The Department of Land and Natural Resources and Department of Health submitted comments.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the four-year water scalping pilot project;
(2) Changing the date by which the Department of Accounting and General Services must submit its report to the Legislature to November 30, 2016; and
(3) Making conforming amendments and technical, nonsubstantive amendments.
Your Committees suggest that the scope of the feasibility study to be conducted by the Department of Accounting and General Services be limited to the facilities of the Department of Accounting and General Services.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Water & Land that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1394, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1394, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Energy & Environmental Protection and Water & Land,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair
CHRIS LEE, Chair