STAND. COM. REP. NO. 2748
RE: S.B. No. 2533
Honorable Donna Mercado Kim
President of the Senate
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2014
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2533 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AFFORDABLE HOUSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to appropriate moneys and issue general obligation bonds to improve the quality of existing public and affordable housing stock and increase the supply of affordable and public housing units in the State.
More specifically, the measure:
(1) Appropriates moneys to the Hawaii Public Housing Authority to improve the existing public housing stock and increase the supply of public housing units in the State;
(2) Authorizes the issuance of general obligation bonds for deposit into the rental housing trust fund and the dwelling unit revolving fund and appropriates moneys out of those funds for purposes of those funds;
(3) Appropriates moneys to the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation for the construction of micro apartment housing units;
(4) Appropriates moneys to the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands for the construction of housing for beneficiaries on Hawaiian home lands; and
(5) Appropriates moneys to the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation to build affordable housing projects for veterans.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, Hawaii Public Housing Authority, Catholic Charities Hawaii, Hawaii Appleseed Center for Law and Economic Justice, PHOCUSED, and one individual. Written comments on this measure were submitted by the Department of Budget and Finance and the Hawaii Association of REALTORS.
Your Committee finds that there is a shortage of affordable housing within the State. The increasing number of low- and moderate-income households are struggling to find affordable housing. According to the 2011 Hawaii Housing Planning Study, fifty thousand units will need to be built to meet the new demands generated by changing demographics and economic conditions. Your Committee further finds that to meet these demands, an appropriation of moneys to various housing agencies is needed.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation amounts to unspecified sums;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2533, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2533, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DAVID Y. IGE, Chair