STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1595-14
RE: S.B. No. 2533
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2014
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2533, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AFFORDABLE HOUSING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Appropriates moneys to the Hawaii Public Housing Authority to improve the existing public housing stock and increase the supply of public housing units in the State;
(2) Authorizes the issuance of general obligation bonds for deposit into the rental housing trust fund and the dwelling unit revolving fund and appropriates moneys out of those funds to finance affordable rental housing development and infrastructure development;
(3) Appropriates moneys to the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation for the construction of micro apartment housing units;
(4) Appropriates moneys to the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands for the construction of housing for beneficiaries on Hawaiian home lands; and
(5) Appropriates moneys to the Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation to build affordable housing projects for veterans.
The Hawaii Public Housing Authority; Community Alliance for Mental Health; PHOCUSED; Partners In Care; BIA-Hawaii; Hawaii Appleseed Center for Law and Economic Justice; Catholic Charities Hawaii; and an individual supported this measure. The Department of Budget and Finance; Hawaii Housing Finance and Development Corporation; and an individual commented on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2533, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2533, S.D. 1, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair