STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1118-14
RE: S.B. No. 2400
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2014
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Higher Education, to which was referred S.B. No. 2400, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Agribusiness Development Corporation and University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources to:
(A) Identify food and emerging crops that can be grown on lands owned by the Agribusiness Development Corporation;
(B) Identify the resources needed to sustain identified emerging and food crops;
(C) Design and establish a program to prepare and inspire an agricultural workforce with the proper skillset and motivation to become successful growers and producers; and
(D) Report their findings to the Legislature no later than 20 days prior to the convening of the Regular Session of 2015;
(2) Requiring the Agribusiness Development Corporation and Department of Agriculture to develop a coordinated strategy:
(A) To lease state agricultural lands to maximize production of food and emerging crops in a cost-efficient manner; and
(B) For the use of state lands, facilities, and infrastructure to support food and emerging crops and to maximize agricultural development; and
(3) Requiring the Agribusiness Development Corporation, Department of Agriculture, and University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources to coordinate and provide technical support to farmers to:
(A) Identify food and emerging crops that are especially suited to a particular area in order to optimize diversified agricultural production on state lands; and
(B) Support and cultivate successful agricultural businesses.
The University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation, and two concerned individuals supported the bill. The Agribusiness Development Corporation supported the intent of the measure. A concerned individual opposed the bill.
Your Committee has amended the bill by:
(1) Removing all references to the University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2525, to facilitate further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committee notes that if the University of Hawaii College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources is required to carry out additional duties and functions, then the College should be given a commensurate appropriation.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Higher Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2400, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Finance in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2400, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Higher Education,
ISAAC W. CHOY, Chair