STAND. COM. REP. NO. 369-14
RE: H.B. No. 2656
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2014
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Housing, to which was referred H.B. No. 2656 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CONDOMINIUMS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish provisions for condominium association annual meetings and quorum requirements; and
(2) Provide that condominium associations may call for the review and discharge of a managing agent hired by the association, upon a majority vote by the association members present at an association meeting.
A concerned individual supported this bill. The Community Associations Institute and a concerned individual supported the intent of this bill. The American Resort Development Association of Hawaii and Starwood Vacation Ownership opposed this bill. The Hawaii State Association of Parliamentarians provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the provisions regarding condominium association annual meetings and quorum requirements;
(2) Providing that managing agents may be discharged if voted on by a majority of unit owners, regardless of whether the unit owners are physically present at the association meeting;
(3) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Housing that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2656, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2656, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Housing,
MARK J. HASHEM, Chair