STAND. COM. REP. NO. 30-14
RE: H.B. No. 1776
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2014
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 1776 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to protect student health by:
(1) Requiring children in kindergarten, sixth grade, and ninth grade to undergo a physical examination within six months of attendance at school beginning with the 2015-2016 school year; and
(2) Making an appropriation to enable the Department of Education to effectuate the physical examination policy.
The American Diabetes Association; Hawaii Primary Care Association; American Academy of Pediatrics, Hawaii Chapter; and three concerned individuals supported this measure. The Hawaii Medical Service Association supported the intent of this measure. The Department of Education opposed this measure. The Department of Health provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the requirement that children in kindergarten, sixth grade, and ninth grade undergo a physical examination within six months of attendance at school;
(2) Requiring the Board of Education to establish a pilot program in one complex area under which children in kindergarten, sixth grade, and ninth grade are required to undergo a physical examination within six months of attendance at school; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1776, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1776, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Health.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
ROY M. TAKUMI, Chair