STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1128
RE: S.C.R. No. 74
Honorable Donna Mercado Kim
President of the Senate
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Energy and Environment, to which was referred S.C.R. No. 74 entitled:
"SENATE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION URGING THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE TO ADD THE ALBIZIA TREE TO ITS NOXIOUS WEED LIST AND URGING THE INVASIVE SPECIES COUNCIL TO DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT A COMPREHENSIVE INTERAGENCY PLAN FOR THE CONTROL AND ERADICATION OF ALBIZIA ON THE ISLAND OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to urge:
(1) The Department of Agriculture to add the Albizia tree to its noxious weed list; and
(2) The Invasive Species Council to develop and implement a comprehensive interagency plan for the control and eradication of Albizia on the island of Hawaii.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the County of Hawaii, Civil Defense Agency; Piihonua Community Association; Hawaiian Shores Community Association; Aloha Arborist Association; Hawaii Electric Light Company; and two individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and Department of Agriculture.
Your Committee finds that the Albizia is a fast growing tree with shallow roots, brittle wood, and a weak structure that was introduced to Hawaii in 1917. The Albizia's rapid growth rate and soil-altering roots and foliage pose a threat to lowland native forests, and falling Albizia trees and branches pose a safety hazard to homeowners, motorists, and utilities.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing the paragraph urging the Department of Agriculture to designate the Albizia as a noxious weed;
(2) Adding a paragraph encouraging the Invasive Species Council to find partners to utilize the Albizia trees that are removed;
(3) Adding a paragraph urging the Department of Agriculture to investigate biocontrol agents for the control of Albizia; and
(4) Amending the title accordingly.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Energy and Environment that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of S.C.R. No. 74, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means, in the form attached hereto as S.C.R. No. 74, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Energy and Environment,
MIKE GABBARD, Chair