STAND. COM. REP. NO. 738
RE: S.B. No. 593
Honorable Donna Mercado Kim
President of the Senate
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 593, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Appropriate funds to the livestock revitalization program; and
(2) Expand livestock feed subsidies to include milking goats, sheep, lamb, fish, and crustaceans.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Hawaii Cattlemen's Council, the Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation, the Sovereign Councils of the Hawaiian Homelands Assembly, Ulupono Initiative, and two individuals.
Your Committee finds that the cost of feed for livestock production in Hawaii can constitute up to seventy per cent of total production costs. In recent years, the cost of feed has increased significantly and is expected to increase even further. Increased feed costs are threatening the closure of the State's remaining livestock producers. Your Committee further finds that increasing livestock production is vitally necessary to meet the State's goals of ensuring food security and self-sufficiency.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the amount of the appropriation to an unspecified amount;
(2) Providing that the livestock feed subsidies apply to goats raised for meat, as well as milking goats;
(3) Changing the minimum flock requirement for sheep and lambs to thirty sheep or lambs annually;
(4) Establishing the minimum herd requirement for goats raised for meat at thirty goats annually;
(5) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(6) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of style, clarity, and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 593, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 593, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DAVID Y. IGE, Chair