STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1082
RE: S.B. No. 343
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Health, to which was referred S.B. No. 343, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO DENTAL HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Director of Health to participate in the national oral health surveillance system;
(2) Allowing dental hygienists to apply preventative sealants in a school-based dental sealant program or at a federally qualified health center;
(3) Requiring the Department of Health to:
(A) Establish and administer a school-based dental sealant program in a high-need demonstration school; and
(B) Submit a report to the Legislature prior to the Regular Session of 2015 on its efforts in implementing the school-based dental sealant program; and
(4) Appropriating funds for the Department of Health to establish and administer a school-based dental sealant program in a high-need demonstration school.
The Department of Education, State Council on Developmental Disabilities, Hawaii Dental Hygienists' Association, and Hawaii Primary Care Association supported this measure. An individual supported this measure with amendments. The Department of Health and an individual supported the intent of this measure. The Hawaii Dental Association and an individual opposed this bill. The Board of Dental Examiners and an individual submitted comments.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Clarifying that a dental hygienist can apply preventative sealants, in consultation with a licensed dentist, in a school-based dental sealant program or at a federally qualified health center; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Health that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 343, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 343, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Health,
DELLA AU BELATTI, Chair