STAND. COM. REP. NO. 774
RE: H.B. No. 988
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 988, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO NATIVE WILDLIFE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to support the operations of an environmental disaster standby and response facility to respond to oil and fuel-related disasters affecting native wildlife in the State.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Increases the environmental response, energy, and food security tax by an unspecified amount until June 30, 2015, and on June 30, 2015, and thereafter assesses an environmental response tax of $0.07 per barrel; and
(2) Deposits a specified amount of revenue collected from the tax into the Wildlife Recovery and Rehabilitation Special Fund.
The Office of Hawaiian Affairs, Conservation Council for Hawaii, Hawaii Wildlife Center, Rhoady Lee Architecture & Design, and several individuals provided testimony in support of this measure. The Department of Land and Natural Resources, Department of Budget and Finance, Department of Taxation, and Tax Foundation of Hawaii provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting an unspecified amount to be deposited into the Wildlife Recovery and Rehabilitation Special Fund;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, for the purpose of facilitating further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 988, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 988, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair