STAND. COM. REP. NO. 911
RE: H.B. No. 980
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 980, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HIGHWAY SAFETY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The Department of Transportation, Honolulu Police Department, AAA Hawai‘i, Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, Safe Community of Maui, Property Casualty Insurers Association of America, and several concerned individuals supported this measure. AT&T provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Prohibiting persons under 18 years of age from utilizing a hands-free mobile electronic device while operating a motor vehicle except for making a "911" emergency communication;
(2) Doubling the fines for violations that occur in school zones or construction areas;
(3) Providing that the state law prohibiting the use of mobile electronic devices while operating a motor vehicle shall supersede county ordinances regulating the same subject;
(4) Requiring testing on the state mobile electronic device law on the examination for a driver's license; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 980, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 980, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
KARL RHOADS, Chair