STAND. COM. REP. NO. 147
RE: H.B. No. 923
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Labor & Public Employment, to which was referred H.B. No. 923 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO DISABILITY COMPENSATION DIVISION SPECIAL FUND,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to assist the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations' Disability Compensation Division in reducing its hearings backlog, defray costs associated with the Division's automation system, and improve workers' compensation-related services to the public by:
(1) Establishing a Disability Compensation Division Special Fund to cover personnel and operating costs incurred in the administration of the State's workers' compensation law;
(2) Authorizing the Disability Compensation Division to establish reasonable fees for subpoenas and for filing injury reports and hearings applications; and
(3) Authorizing the establishment of and funding two full-time positions.
The Department of Labor and Industrial Relations supported this measure. The Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii and Hawaii Insurers Council opposed this measure. The International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 142 offered comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Adding a repeal date of June 30, 2016; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Labor & Public Employment that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 923, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 923, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Labor & Public Employment,
MARK M. NAKASHIMA, Chair