STAND. COM. REP. NO. 769
RE: H.B. No. 908
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 908, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII HOME VISITING PROGRAM,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establishes the Hawaii Home Visiting Program within the Department of Health to provide statewide hospital-based screening and home visiting services to identify families of newborns at risk for poor health and safety outcomes, including child abuse and neglect; and
(2) Appropriates $3,000,000 to establish and administer the Program.
The Department of Health; Executive Office on Early Learning; Maui Family Support Services, Inc.; Hawaii Family Support Institute; Catholic Charities Hawaii; Child and Family Service; and numerous concerned individuals testified in support of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this bill by:
(1) Changing the appropriation for the establishment and administration of the Program from $3,000,000 to an unspecified sum;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 908, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 908, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair