STAND. COM. REP. NO. 905
RE: H.B. No. 668
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 668, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The Department of Public Safety, American Civil Liberties Union of Hawaii, Community Alliance on Prisons, Advocates For Consumer Rights, Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii, Natural Cancer Wellness Foundation, and several individuals provided testimony in support of this measure. The County of Hawaii Police Department provided testimony in opposition to this measure. The Department of Human Resources Development, Department of Health, and a few individuals provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Providing the Department of Public Safety and Department of Health greater flexibility in determining which functions shall be transferred;
(2) Clarifying provisions regarding the transfer of employees from the Department of Public Safety to the Department of Health, including employees exempt from civil service requirements;
(3) Establishing a Medical Marijuana Revolving Fund into which medical marijuana registration fees shall be deposited for the purpose of offsetting administrative costs and other purposes;
(4) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, for the purpose of facilitating further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
Your Committee notes that it is waiting to receive further information from the Department of Health regarding the staffing of positions for the Medical Use of Marijuana Program upon its transfer from the Department of Public Safety.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 668, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 668, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair