STAND. COM. REP. NO. 781
RE: H.B. No. 395
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 395, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO YOUTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Office of Youth Services to coordinate a two-year Safe Places for Youth Pilot Program in partnership with private organizations, to coordinate a network that youth may access for safety and where they may obtain advice, guidance, programs, and services;
(2) Establishing a Safe Places for Youth Pilot Program Coordinator position to, among other things, coordinate the safe places for youth network; and
(3) Appropriating an unspecified amount of funds for the Safe Places for Youth Pilot Program Coordinator position and residential options for the pilot program.
The Department of Education, Hawaii Youth Services Network, Community Alliance for Mental Health, United Self Help, IMUAlliance, Adult Friends for Youth, and several concerned individuals supported this measure. The Office of Youth Services commented on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Requiring the Office of Youth Services to submit a report to the Legislature no later than September 1, 2014, on the Safe Places for Youth Pilot Program's accomplishments, number of youths assisted by the program, any proposed legislation, and a recommendation as to whether the program should be made permanent;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to facilitate further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 395, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 395, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair