STAND. COM. REP. NO. 25
RE: H.B. No. 395
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Human Services, to which was referred H.B. No. 395 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO YOUTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Office of Youth Services to coordinate a two-year Safe Places for Youth Pilot Program in partnership with private organizations, to coordinate a network that youth may access for safety and where they may obtain advice, guidance, programs, and services;
(2) Establishing a Safe Places for Youth Pilot Program Coordinator position to, among other things, coordinate the safe places for youth network;
(3) Providing access to and linkage with services and programs needed by youth under the Pilot Program; and
(4) Appropriating funds for the Safe Places for Youth Pilot Program Coordinator position and residential options for the Pilot Program.
The Department of Education, Hawaii Youth Services Network, Community Alliance for Mental Health, and Planned Parenthood of Hawaii testified in support of this measure. The Office of Youth Services supported the intent of this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the amount of the appropriation to facilitate further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Human Services that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 395, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 395, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Human Services,
MELE CARROLL, Chair