STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1041
RE: H.B. No. 1396
Honorable Donna Mercado Kim
President of the Senate
Twenty-Seventh State Legislature
Regular Session of 2013
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Technology and the Arts and Water and Land, to which was referred H.B. No. 1396, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE JAPANESE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE IN HAWAII,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to appropriate funds for the planning, design, and construction of the Nisei Veterans Legacy Center and Honouliuli Internment Camp Educational Center, subject to the receipt of matching funds.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources; Department of Budget and Finance; University of Hawaii, West Oahu; Hawaii Civil Rights Commission; Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii; Japanese American Citizens League, Honolulu Chapter; 422nd Veterans Club; and forty individuals.
Your Committees find that the Nisei Veterans Legacy Center and Honouliuli Internment Camp Education Center will preserve and perpetuate the legacy of Americans of Japanese ancestry who served during or lived through World War II. This measure provides research and educational programs, as well as onsite educational tours for high school students and members of the community.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Separating the appropriations for the Nisei Veterans Legacy Center and Honouliuli Internment Camp Educational Center;
(2) Designating the University of Hawaii at West Oahu, rather than the Department of Land and Natural Resources, as the expending agency for the planning, design, and construction of the Nisei Veterans Legacy Center;
(3) Amending the appropriation for the Honouliuli Internment Camp Educational Center to be an appropriation for the continuation of the work of the Honouliuli Park Site Project Advisory Group;
(4) Requiring the University of Hawaii at West Oahu and Honouliuli Park Site Project Advisory Group to report to the Legislature no later than twenty days prior to the convening of the Regular Session of 2014; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Technology and the Arts and Water and Land that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1396, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1396, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Technology and the Arts and Water and Land,
MALAMA SOLOMON, Chair
GLENN WAKAI, Chair