TWENTY-SEVENTH LEGISLATURE, 2013
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO AGRICULTURE.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 155D-1, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by amending the definitions of "milk" and "qualified producer" to read as follows:
""Milk" means the lacteal
secretion, practically free from colostrums, obtained by the milking of healthy
cows or goats normally produced or marketed through the channels of the
fluid milk trade[
.] or for further processing into milk products.
"Qualified producer" means any person that at the time of application for and disbursement of funds under this chapter is in the business of producing:
(1) Milk from a herd, located in Hawaii, of not less
than three hundred fifty cows[
;] or twenty-five lactating milking
(2) Poultry products from a flock, raised and located in Hawaii, of not less than three thousand birds;
(3) Pork from a herd, raised and located in Hawaii,
of not less than fifty sows; [
,] that is grown, slaughtered,
processed, and marketed in Hawaii. Producers who finish at least one hundred
head of beef cattle annually shall be eligible for this program[ .];
(5) Sheep or lamb that are grown, slaughtered, processed, and marketed in the State, with current annual sales of not fewer than thirty sheep or lambs; or
(6) Fish or crustaceans, farmed by aquacultural practices, with current annual sales of not less than two thousand pounds."
SECTION 2. Section 155D-2, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended as follows:
1. By amending subsection (a) to read:
"(a) Applications for grants by qualified
producers shall be submitted [
on[ ]] a form furnished by the
department and shall be filed with accompanying documentation of animal feed
costs; provided that:
(1) The applicant shall comply with applicable federal and state laws prohibiting discrimination against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, sexual orientation, or disability;
(2) The applicant shall have applied for or received all applicable licenses or permits;
(3) The applicant shall indemnify and hold harmless the State and its officers, agents, and employees from all claims arising out of or resulting from the feed purchased;
(4) The subsidy shall not be allowed within a fiscal quarter if the flock or herd size or, in the case of fish or crustaceans, sale weight falls five per cent or more below the required minimum of:
(A) Three thousand birds;
(B) Three hundred fifty cows;
(C) Fifty sows in any two months of the
applicable fiscal quarter; [
(D) One hundred finished beef cattle annually;
(E) Twenty-five lactating milking goats in the applicable fiscal quarter;
(F) Thirty sheep or lambs in the applicable fiscal quarter; or
(G) Sales of five hundred pounds of fish or crustaceans in the applicable fiscal quarter;
(5) The grant shall not exceed a total of [
$ per qualified producer per year; and
(6) The department may request an applicant to provide necessary information for the purposes of verifying flock or herd size, sale weight, and feed purchases."
2. By amending subsections (d) and (e) to read:
"(d) Funds shall be disbursed upon
approval by the department to the qualifying producer for up to[
: (1) Sixty per cent of the feed costs
incurred for production of poultry products; (2) Forty per cent of the feed costs
incurred for milk production; (3) Fifty per cent of the feed costs
incurred for pigs raised in Hawaii and slaughtered for local consumption; or (4) Fifty per cent of the feed costs for
beef cattle raised in Hawaii and slaughtered in Hawaii for local consumption.]
the lesser of $ per year or per cent of the food costs
incurred per year for:
(1) The production of poultry products and milk, including goat milk;
(2) The raising of pigs, beef cattle, sheep, and lambs for slaughter in Hawaii for local consumption; and
(3) The raising of fish or crustaceans, farmed by aquacultural practices, in Hawaii and processed for local consumption.
Funds shall be expended from the agricultural development and food security special fund.
(e) Feed costs shall be limited to only the
feed fed to the qualifying flock [
or], herd, fish, or
crustaceans and shall not include the feed purchases for resale or gift, or
the cost of transportation to Hawaii. In no case shall costs be reimbursed to
a qualified producer when, after evaluation and verification by the department,
the department determines that the amount of reimbursement will result in an
annual profit of more than:
(1) Twelve per cent for milk producers;
(2) Eight per cent for poultry producers;
(3) Eight per cent for pork producers; [
(4) Eight per cent for beef producers[
(5) per cent for sheep or lamb meat producers; or
(6) per cent for fish or crustacean producers."
SECTION 3. Section 141-10, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by amending subsection (c) to read as follows:
"(c) Subject to legislative appropriation, moneys in the special fund may be expended for the following purposes:
(1) The awarding of
grants to farmers for agricultural production or processing activity[
including grants awarded through the livestock revitalization program
authorized by chapter 155D;
(2) The acquisition of real property for agricultural production or processing activity;
(3) The improvement of real property, dams, reservoirs, irrigation systems, and transportation networks necessary to promote agricultural production or processing activity, including investigative studies to identify and assess necessary improvements to dams, reservoirs, irrigation systems, and transportation networks;
(4) The purchase of equipment necessary for agricultural production or processing activity;
(5) The conduct of research on and testing of agricultural products and markets;
(6) The funding of agricultural inspector positions within the department of agriculture;
(7) The promotion and marketing of agricultural products grown or raised in the State;
(8) Water quality testing and improvement; and
(9) Any other activity intended to increase agricultural production or processing that may lead to reduced importation of food, fodder, or feed from outside the State."
SECTION 4. There is appropriated out of the general revenues of the State of Hawaii the sum of $ or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2013-2014 and the same sum or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2014-2015 to be deposited in the agricultural development and food security special fund to disburse to qualified producers of milk, pork, eggs, poultry, beef, sheep, fish, or crustaceans for the cost of feed for dairy cows or goats, hogs, poultry, beef cattle, sheep, fish, or crustaceans and to provide for the administrative costs of the livestock revitalization program.
The sums appropriated shall be expended by the department of agriculture for the purposes of this Act.
SECTION 5. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 6. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2050.
Livestock Revitalization Program; Subsidy; Appropriation; Barrel Tax
Caps the livestock revitalization program grant per qualified producer per year at the lesser of a specified amount or a percentage of the cost of feed for production of poultry products, milk, or pigs and beef cattle raised and slaughtered in Hawaii for local consumption. Expands the livestock program to include subsidies for costs incurred in raising goats, sheep, fish, and crustaceans. Appropriates funds for the livestock revitalization program. Requires the livestock revitalization program to be funded through the agricultural development and food security special fund. Effective 07/01/2050. (SD2)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.