STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3401
RE: S.R. No. 75
Honorable Shan S. Tsutsui
President of the Senate
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.R. No. 75 entitled:
"SENATE RESOLUTION ENCOURAGING THE MILITARY STRATEGY OF FORWARD-BASING A VISIBLE MILITARY FORCE IN HAWAII AND URGING THE MILITARY AFFAIRS COUNCIL OF THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE OF HAWAII TO CONTINUE WITH ITS WORK AS THE LIAISON FOR HAWAII IN MATTERS RELATING TO THE MILITARY'S PRESENCE IN HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to support efforts to ensure that a visible military force is stationed in Hawaii.
Specifically, the measure:
(1) Encourages the United States to continue its military strategy of forward-basing a visible military force in Hawaii;
(2) Requests the Secretary of Defense to consider basing additional United States military forces in Hawaii; and
(3) Urges the Military Affairs Council of the Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii to continue with its work as the liaison for Hawaii in matters relating to the military's presence in Hawaii.
Your Committee finds that actions taken by North Korea, China, and terrorist groups operating in Southeast Asian countries could disrupt security within the Pacific region, which in turn could disrupt the free flow of commerce and trade that is vital to the economies of Asia Pacific nations, the United States, and Hawaii specifically. Your Committee further finds that the military strategy of forward-basing military forces throughout the Pacific region, including Hawaii, provides a visible military presence that has successfully deterred adversaries from taking aggressive military actions that would cause political and economic instability.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Adding the United States Coast Guard Fourteenth District to the list of entities that will receive a certified copy of the Resolution; and
(2) Clarifying that the Commander of each military command is the recipient of the Resolution.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of S.R. No. 75, as amended herein, and recommends its adoption in the form attached hereto as S.R. No. 75, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DAVID Y. IGE, Chair