STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3116
RE: S.R. No. 102
Honorable Shan S. Tsutsui
President of the Senate
Twenty-Sixth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2012
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water, Land, and Housing, to which was referred S.R. No. 102 entitled:
"SENATE RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE OFFICE OF PLANNING TO HIRE CONSULTANTS TO REVIEW ALL STATE AND COUNTY LAND USE PRACTICES AND DEVELOP RECOMMENDATIONS TO REDUCE URBAN SPRAWL AND PROPERLY DEVELOP URBAN CORES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to request the Office of Planning to hire consultants to review all state and county land use practices and develop recommendations to reduce urban sprawl and properly develop urban areas.
Prior to the hearing, your Committee circulated a proposed S.D. 1 of the measure which, among other things:
(1) Deleted the request for the Office of Planning to hire consultants; and
(2) Added language to convene a task force to review all state and county land use practices and develop recommendations to reduce urban sprawl and properly develop urban areas.
Your Committee received testimony in support of the proposed S.D. 1 from the Office of Planning and one individual. Testimony in opposition to the proposed S.D. 1 was received from the City and County of Honolulu Department of Planning and Permitting.
Your Committee finds that existing land use practices are not sufficient to meet the current needs to reduce urban sprawl, save prime agricultural land, encourage economic growth, or deliver affordable housing. As part of Hawaii's solution to its current economic crisis, it is necessary to take a comprehensive look at the state and county practices regarding land use. This measure will assist the State and counties to properly prepare for the future and establish safeguards to help prevent another economic crisis.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by adopting the proposed S.D. 1 and further amending the measure by:
(1) Incorporating language from S.R. No. 104, which urges the counties to revise laws to reflect strategic land use practices for main street redevelopment in existing towns that support public transportation to accommodate the growing population;
(2) Amending the title to read: "REQUESTING THE OFFICE OF PLANNING TO CONVENE A TASK FORCE TO REVIEW ALL STATE AND COUNTY LAND USE PRACTICES AND DEVELOP RECOMMENDATIONS TO REDUCE URBAN SPRAWL, PROPERLY DEVELOP URBAN AREAS, AND REVISE COUNTY LAWS TO REFLECT STRATEGIC LAND USE PRACTICES FOR MAIN STREET REDEVELOPMENT THAT SUPPORT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION"; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water, Land, and Housing that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of S.R. No. 102, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to the Committee on Ways and Means, in the form attached hereto as S.R. No. 102, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water, Land, and Housing,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair